Monday, January 21, 2013

Should be in the Shower...


So here I sit when I should be getting into the shower.  I love a long shower after a good workout, it’s the getting  out, drying off, freezing, getting dressed, brushing my hair, putting on makeup, blow drying my hair, flat ironing and then the rest of the day that always puts off the shower for me.  I would much rather sit at the computer, stinky from working out, and type away like a mad woman.

Yesterday was Ward Conference and it was awesome having the stake take over.  In Young Women’s my Laurel’s President or one of her councilors always takes charge of opening exercises.  And they do a fantastic job.  Well this Sunday my Laurel’s President Megan had to give a 5 minute talk in Young Women’s  (which she nailed fabulously I must add…she is amazing) so the stake asked me to conduct.  What?!  Didn’t think it was that big of a deal, but I got tongue tied the entire time.  I now have new respect for my Laurel girls.  Megan and any of them that fill in when she is gone make it look so easy as they breeze through it as articulate as a poet.

Our new Young Women’s Stake President spoke and one of the things that kept going through my mind in relation to the wonderfully uplifting things she was saying was a conversation that Jason and I had had sometime earlier.  Doesn’t matter what we were talking about necessarily, but basically he was commenting on something that he didn’t want to do that he knew that he should do and maybe even should want to do.  I didn’t mind the thing that he was talking about and rather enjoyed it in fact.  He said, “I know that makes me horrible but I don’t want to after all that I’ve had to do.”  The thought instantly came to my mind, and of course I shared it with him because, well….I’m a woman and that’s what we do, “I like doing that and so for me to do it is no big thing, but you don’t want to and you still do.  Perhaps that’s a bigger deal than someone who enjoys it.”

I think he is a greater person than me in every way.  There are so many times in our lives when there are things that I don’t want to do when Jason will jump up and do it all be it grumbling a little while he does it but he knows it needs to be done no matter how much he hates the task.  He would be in the shower right now even if he had to do all that a woman does when they get out because it needs to be done like it or not so why put it off.

My mom always taught us about obedience as a kid.  She said that sometimes we do things that Heavenly Father asks out of obedience not necessarily because we want to, but that is okay, even great because He knows that although it is something that we don’t like doing we love Him enough to follow His commands.
 
Nan loves to cook and she is my master chef always popping in to help me with dinner.  I am always so grateful to her because she makes my life so much easier (and she is sweet as can be besides that), but Jenny doesn’t like it so much and even complains when I ask her to help.  The times when she just jumps up and lends a hand with dinner without being asked mean so much more to me because I know how much she hates it, but she loves me and that is why she is doing it.

That having been said, I guess it’s time to climb into that shower to enjoy the warmth even if what follows must come.  Kinda like scriptures, gotta open the book even if the time it takes doesn’t seem to be there, or prepare that lesson even though I don’t know where to begin, or say my prayers even if I have bad knees and I don’t want to kneel.  It may seem like a lot of work at first but He knows your effort and it will well be worth the warmth that follows!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. It reminds me of the Widow's Mite. He sees our heart and our level of sacrifice. Good reminder. By the way, I am just like you with the shower. I love love love taking a shower, but I put it off because I absolutely HATE the getting ready afterward part. I don't know how women can look so put together everyday. Uh uh, not me. I hate getting ready.

    ReplyDelete