Monday, January 7, 2013

Baby It's Cold Outside


                `Brr….It’s cold outside.  You know it’s sad when you are excited that the temp on your car registered 1degree this morning instead of the negative numbers that we have been getting.  Yesterday was an amazing start to my week.  Opening prayer Sherry Gould thanked Heavenly Father for the beautiful weather that we have had.  At first I was surprised but then she went on to say that even in the cold we have had beautiful sunshine.  She got me thinking about it right then and there.  She was right.  With all of the white snow we have and with it being so cold that everything has iced up, the beautiful sunshine has turned everything into something sparkly and picturesque.

                Then I went to Young Women’s.  Every chair was filled but one.  Now I know other classes have been noticing chairs missing from their rooms, but we have set ours up and it doesn’t appear that any chairs are missing.  We just have that many awesome girls coming.  In our lesson we broke up into groups to discuss a piece of a talk that we were assigned.  I looked around the room and saw the girls talking and discussing and giggling too and it was amazing.  Then when we regrouped and discussed it, they taught me something along with teaching each other.  Young Women’s is such a gift.  I’m so grateful that it’s my gift right now. 

                Then we had a big dinner with the family that night, Luke included, even though now he is renting with some friends across town.  He had cut his leg on Saturday after the chain came off the chainsaw that he was using.  It could have been life threatening or at least leg threatening, but it was really very minor to what could have been.  Blessings galore there.   After dinner we talked to my Dad and Step Mom on Skype.  How awesome is that?  It was 7:20 p.m. here on Sunday and 11:20 a.m. there on Monday and it was almost as if we were in the same room together.

                Valarie, my Step Mom, has been teaching the Relief Society ladies there in the Philippines how to make scones.  None of them have ovens, they cook over fires or hot plates, and therefore can’t make bread.  They were so excited to learn to make bread in a fry pan that word got out and a branch that’s outside of their Mission asked Valarie to come and teach their women.  I never looked at my oven as a luxury before.  I always thought that it was a need.  I am blessed because I have an oven and believe it or not so many people in the world do not.

                Today a good friend called, my best friend Bev who lives in Beaver.  She invited me to go with her to three days’ worth of awesome workshops at the end of February, and I couldn’t help but think after talking to my Dad and Valarie yesterday what a luxury that was too.  Two nights, with someone I can spend hours talking to while learning how to make gourmet cupcakes and applique flowers and I can think of nothing funner, well maybe spending three days with my amazing hubby.  Then that led me thinking about that amazing hubby that I have.  Jason is the most compassionate husband that ever walked the face of the earth, and he’s brilliant to boot (like genius I’m telling you)!  And I get to have him forever!  God must really love me!

                Which of course led me to be grateful for the knowledge I have of who I am, God’s daughter and Christ’s sister, and therefore I matter and my possibilities are endless and how do I know this?  I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, that’s how.  All because my parents weren’t satisfied with the questions they had had and the holes in their religion that they couldn’t fill, and all because two young boys were willing to serve a mission.

                Now, I know it’s cold outside, and I really hate winter, but how can I complain when I have so much and my life is so amazing?

No comments:

Post a Comment