Monday, January 28, 2013

Millions of Birthday Wishes


I just got done “Chalking” one of our brand new Beehives front drives wishing her a Happy Birthday from the Young Women’s.  One of her advisors will be bringing over something magnificent too because that’s what my advisors do, be magnificent.  My birthday was yesterday.  I woke up to an Email from my Dad wishing me a happy Birthday at 2:11 a.m. our time all the way from the Philippines followed by one from his wife, my amazing step-mom, followed by a whole day of Happy Birthday wishes from all over the United States and even from my dear sweet friend in Hungary (my Hungarian Twin her birthday was yesterday too).  My phone even on vibrate was going off every two seconds in church in response to texts and Facebook.  How amazing is technology?

                Jason and I are going to dinner tonight and sometime this week I will go to dinner with my Mom and we will celebrate both our week of birthdays.  When reflecting on getting one year older… I am 38 now… I was pretty excited and more than a little proud.  I told my kids “Hey, I’m only two years away from 40 that’s pretty great!”  Jenny looked at me like I was insane, and in her defense a lot of times I am but this was not one of those times, and asked how that could be a good thing.  “I’m two years away from half my life which means that I am almost halfway home.”

                I’ve tried not to be one of those women who freak out as we get older.  It’s not the getting older that I hate.  It’s the ageing body that I’m not so thrilled about.  Every year I get a little wiser and hopefully you do to.  Why would anyone want to stop that process?  Isn’t that the whole purpose of coming here, getting a little wiser?  Not to mention in everything that I do there is one accomplishment that my children will never catch me in while I am in this life and that is that I will always be able to say that I have lived longer than them!  Why do we look at that so harshly?

                No one can stop ageing, it’s an impossibility and nothing that we are at any fault for, but yet most of us, especially women, take on the shame as if we have done something wrong.   How about in return realize that I have done something great, even remarkable, by living this long and enduring so much hopefully trying to smile on the way.  How many people have I touched and lives have I blessed?  How many babies have I snuggled and tears have I wiped, how many books have I read and lessons have I learned?  How many more will I in the remainder of my life?  I don’t know but I plan on sticking around a bit more and finding out.

                Then, someday which will seem all too soon, I will go home, because as much as this life here may feel like home it really isn’t, and hopefully I will have taken advantage of every minute of it to learn, to love, to laugh, to cry, to have faith when hope seems impossible, to listen and to enjoy the journey home.

                Now if only my body didn’t have to sag and wrinkle and poop out on the way….  Oh how grateful am I for technology?  Thank you all for the Birthday Wishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment