Monday, July 30, 2012

Supporting the "Stache"

Youth Conference. What more can I say, other than this is the first time that I have gone since I was a youth myself. I forgot that I could have so much ridiculous fun! One of the best parts about being Young Women's President is that I get to spend so much time with all of the youth in our ward and see them and get to know them in a way that I couldn't otherwise. We have amazing youth. I think that my ward is the best by far. What kind of President would I be if I didn't, but I think that the Church as a whole has amazing youth with strength far beyond anything that the world cam completely understand.
My Secretary Agi was able to go with us to Youth Conference. She had been up until about 2 in the morning that morning with her husband and business associates only to wake up 4 hours later to join us. Needless to say she was a bit tired and during some down time during one of the many thunderstorms, she fell asleep prompting my evil side. Of course I involved the girls in my evilness and prompted Jenny(my daughter) and Morgan, Annee, and the most sinister of them all Hayley, to take Jenny's liquid eyeliner and paint a mustache on Agi's face.
Agi woke more quickly than we would have preferred to what she called "the sensation of someone licking me," which then proceded to more than half of us, boys included, getting our mustaches on. Even Morgan, despite her belief that..."I can't support a stache..." It is an amazing thing when you watch the youth of your ward come together to catch salamanders, zipline across the lake, play games, paddle boat, swim, and cut down dead pine trees as a service project, and see them drawn together when maybe they otherwise would not be. And all of this in some of God's most beautiful scenery. He really knows us more than we can possibly understand. Only he could know just how much my heart would grow with this calling. Only he could know just how much I would yearn and ache for the girls of our ward as I worry about whether I am giving them all of myself or whether perhaps in some ways I am failing. Watching my own daughters as they grow up and I see them with the other girls, I can't help but to thank Heavenly Father for sneaking me into one more aspect of their amazing lives. Because before too long they, like Luke is now, will be on their own and past my mothering care. Where does all that time really go? I sure hope those relationships with our family and beyond our eternal family ones still last behind the veil too.
Luke of course was able to call again Sunday from Basic Training in Missouri. He sounded so good and he is becoming a man and I am so proud, but missing him beyond anything. He has been struggling with a hurt shoulder and needing to pass off his pushups. In his letter he asked that we pray for him as a family because he knew that that would make the difference. He also went to church and asked for a blessing. This from the boy who skipped out of Seminary more times than I can count. Brother Sutorious once sent me a note home regarding Luke in Seminary and on it he put the scripture Galations 6:9, "For let us not be weary in well doing for in due season we shall reap if we faint not." That has become my standard the last few years as our family have had struggles through different things. I can say we are "reaping" now as I watch Luke. How grateful I am to my Heavenly Father.
Jason and Jenny took Sam and my two nephews to the transmitter sight that looks out over our small town, Nephi. They rode the 4 wheelers up and had the best time while I stayed below chatting with my mother and my brother, my two nephew's father, Cullen. Two more weeks with them before they go back home to Texas and already it is breaking my heart. The time used to be when Cullen and Annalee and the boys lived just two houses down. Dallin would come marching right in without knocking to grab a cracker or play with Sam and Steph, and Sam too on their end to watch T.V. I miss those days but am so happy for the relationships, the eternal relationships, that they built. Well, time to get up, to be a mom. Isn't that the greatest blessing of all? How could I ever replace the moments of amazement that come from the little boys together, or my oldest little boy becoming a man? How could I ever replace watching my girls become ladies, and sometimes evil pranksters, at Young Women's, or even learn how to grow their first "Staches" at Youth Conference. The Lord loves us in ways we cannot comprehend, loves me in ways I can never earn. And in all things all I can do is smile.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Made me cry. I can totally picture you in all your mischievousness pulling that prank. I can hear your laugh right now. :) I bet you're a great YW President. Working with youth is the best. And look at Luke. How awesome is all that? What a fine man you raised!

    ReplyDelete